Alcohol and Substance Use
FSD holdings contain a number of data series and individual datasets suitable for research on alcohol and substance use.
There are also many datasets that contain individual questions and variables which are potentially useful to researchers of the subject. The data archived at the FSD can be downloaded free of charge from Aila Data Service, according to the conditions set for each dataset. Please note that below is listed only a sample of all data available at the Archive and we encourage you to search more datasets on the subject on Aila.
Questions and variables of quantitative datasets that have been fielded in English or translated at the FSD can be explored by browsing their codebooks or through Aila variable search. If a quantitative dataset has not yet been translated, you can request a translation free of charge. Qualitative data are only available in their original language. Where applicable, the codebook and other related material are freely accessible on the study description page of each dataset.
Recent Data Releases
- Substance Abuse Treatment in Community Sanctions Offices: Pre- and Post-treatment Surveys 2007-2010
- Substance Abuse Treatment in Community Sanctions Offices: Client Meetings 2007-2009
- Substance Abuse Treatment in Outpatient Clinics: Pre- and Post-treatment Surveys 2007-2010
- Substance Abuse Treatment in Outpatient Clinics: Client Meetings 2008-2009
- YouGamble 2017: Additional Finnish Data
- YouGamble 2017: Finnish Data
- Substance Use Related Cases in Social and Health Services 2019
- Substance Use Related Cases in Social and Health Services 2011
- Substance Use Related Cases in Social and Health Services 2015
- Intravenous Drug Use and Well-being 2013-2014
- More data on Aila Data Service
- Quantitative study
- Qualitative study
Datasets on the theme
FSD3181 Alcohol and Drug Survey 2014
The 2014 Alcohol and Drug Survey studied the substance use of Finnish adult population as well as attitudes and opinions on drugs and drug policies.
FSD3313 Finnish Drinking Habits Survey: Drinking Occasions 2016
The survey charted Finnish consumption of alcoholic beverages in terms of individual drinking occasions.
FSD2729 Finnish Youth Survey 2012
The respondents were asked about, among other things, their opinions on alcohol and substance use, alcohol use in their childhood home, and whether they had gotten drunk or used drugs in the previous 6 months.
FSD1257 Alcohol Use 2002
The survey of alcohol use was conducted by the weekly supplement NYT of the newspaper Helsingin Sanomat in 2002. It was directed to all readers of the newspaper aged 18 or over.
Data in these series also include questions on the theme.
People interested in finding data on alcohol and substance use should also take a look at data available at other data archives around the world.
In Finland, the Language Bank of Finland also provides services to researchers and archives audio and video material. Services of various European social science data archives can be accessed through the website of CESSDA. The UK Data Service has, among other things, a wide variety of excellent qualitative data. Another good source of data is the German GESIS - Leibniz Institute for the Social Sciences. The extensive holdings of the American ICPSR are also well worth searching.