- Looking at the bright side of 2020: data use skyrocketed in the year of COVID-19
- COVID-19 and FSD’s services
- User Services phone number has changed
- Christmas and New Year closing times
- FSD and CESSDA-Finland included in Finland’s national research infrastructure roadmap
- Freely available datasets now licensed under the CC BY 4.0 license
- More news
- Substance Abuse Treatment in Community Sanctions Offices: Pre- and Post-treatment Surveys 2007-2010
- Substance Abuse Treatment in Community Sanctions Offices: Client Meetings 2007-2009
- Substance Abuse Treatment in Outpatient Clinics: Pre- and Post-treatment Surveys 2007-2010
- Substance Abuse Treatment in Outpatient Clinics: Client Meetings 2008-2009
- Ninth-Graders' Connection with Nature 2019
- Ninth-Graders' Views on Happiness 2019
- More data on Aila Data Service
- Quantitative study
- Qualitative study
A closer look at FSD services
FSD’s basic operations include archiving and dissemination of research data for reuse, but we also offer several other types of services for researchers, students and everyone else interested in issues regarding research data.
Aila Data Service
The Aila Data Service provides access to data archived at FSD, in accordance with the conditions set for each dataset. On Aila, there are over 1,600 datasets, almost 300 of which are qualitative. Registered Aila users include students, teachers and researchers from all Finnish universities and polytechnics.
Data Management Guidelines
The online guidelines written by FSD’s experts contain practical instructions on managing digital research data in all stages of the data lifecycle. In the guidelines you will find, among others, detailed advice on preparing a data management plan.
Our user services will be glad to help you with any questions relating to research data. Need help with planning data collection, managing your data or long-term preservation? Cannot find suitable data for your research? Contact us and we will help.
Penna is a data collection tool created to facilitate collection and streamlined archiving of qualitative textual data. It handles the technical implementation of data collection as well as the participants’ archiving permissions. Penna’s user interface is available only in Finnish, but data collection is possible in English as well.
Pohtiva is the Finnish Party Agenda Database containing current and past agendas of Finnish political parties as well as other significant political documents. Pohtiva is only available in Finnish.
Research Methods Guidebook
The Research Methods Guidebook consists of sections on qualitative and quantitative research methods. Up-to-date methodological texts, exercises and datasets are suitable for studying and teaching in the higher education institutions or self-study, especially in the field of social sciences and humanities. The Guidebook is only available in Finnish.
MOTV - Research Methods Web Resource
Research methods web resource (MOTV in Finnish) is FSD’s older environment for teaching and learning quantitative and qualitative research methods of the social and behavioural sciences. MOTV is only available in Finnish.
Services of CESSDA
CESSDA is a pan-European research infrastructure consisting of data archives across Europe. CESSDA provides training and data services free of charge. Finland is a member of and FSD is a national service provider for CESSDA. The CESSDA Data Catalogue contains metadata of all data in the holdings of CESSDA’s service providers.
The FNESdata Longitudinal Survey Metadata Portal allows users to examine the variables in the combined data of four Finnish National Election Studies (2013–2015). The portal has a basket where users can save the variables they need.
FSD is a reliable partner in sharing your digital research data and preserving them long term. We create a version of your data suitable for reuse, describe the data for you and make sure that the data can be easily found and reused according to the agreed conditions of use.