FSD holdings contain a number of data series and individual datasets suitable for research on elections.
There are also many datasets that contain individual questions and variables which are potentially useful to researchers of the subject. The data archived at the FSD can be downloaded free of charge from Aila Data Service, according to the conditions set for each dataset.
Please note that below is listed only a sample of all data available at the Data Archive and we encourage you to use keyword search more datasets on the subject on Aila. In addition, datasets suitable for research on the theme may be found from other European data archives by using CESSDA Data Catalogue (Opens in new tab).
Questions and variables of quantitative datasets that have been fielded in English or translated at the FSD can be explored by browsing through Aila variable search. If a quantitative dataset has not yet been translated, you can request a translation free of charge. Qualitative data are only available in their original language. Where applicable, all related materials are freely accessible on the study description page of each dataset.
Recent Data Releases
- Quantitative study: EVA Survey on Finnish Values and Attitudes Autumn 2021
- Quantitative study: Changing Nature of Being an Expatriate Finn Survey 2020
- Qualitative study: Experiences of Postal Voting in the 2019 Finnish Elections 2020-2021
- Quantitative study: Political Participation of Finnish Expatriates 2019
- Quantitative study: Mustasaari Resident Survey on Municipal Referendums 2020
- Quantitative study: Finnish Citizens' Civic Attitudes 2019
- Quantitative study: Parliamentary Elections 2019: Responses to Union of Freethinkers of Finland Candidate Selector
- Quantitative study: Citizens' Pulse 9/2021
- Quantitative study: Finnish Expatriates' National Identity and Political Participation 2014
- Quantitative study: Health and Political Engagement 2016
- More data on Aila Data Service
- Quantitative study
- Qualitative study
Datasets on the theme
FSD2556 Finnish National Election Studies 2003-2019: combined data
This combined dataset contains the harmonised variables of datasets FSD1260, FSD2269, FSD2653, FSD3067, and FSD3467, which were collected after the Finnish parliamentary elections of 2003, 2007, 2011, 2015, and 2019.
FSD3467 Finnish National Election Study 2019
This survey focused on the 2019 parliamentary elections in Finland. Main themes included political participation, political attitudes, party allegiance, candidate and party choice, and voting behaviour.
FSD3575 Political Participation of Finnish Expatriates 2019
The survey charted various aspects of Finnish expatriates' political participation. Main topics of the survey included the 2019 Finnish parliamentary elections and postal voting, which was introduced during the elections.
FSD2276 Finnish Voter Barometers 1973-1990: Combined Data
This combined data includes surveys from 1973 to 1990. Survey themes include voting behaviour, opinions on the government and the parties, and attitudes towards national political issues.
Data in these series also include questions on the theme.
People interested in finding data on elections should also take a look at data available at other data archives around the world.
In Finland, the Language Bank of Finland (Opens in new tab) also provides services to researchers and archives audio and video material. Research data produced in Finland may also be searched via the Fairdata.fi Etsin (Opens in new tab) . Services of various European social science data archives can be accessed through the website of CESSDA (Opens in new tab) . The UK Data Service (Opens in new tab) has, among other things, a wide variety of excellent qualitative data. Another good source of data is the German GESIS - Leibniz Institute for the Social Sciences (Opens in new tab) . The extensive holdings of the American ICPSR (Opens in new tab) are also well worth searching.