FSD holdings contain a number of data series and individual datasets suitable for research on media.
There are also many datasets that contain individual questions and variables which are potentially useful to researchers of the subject. The data archived at the FSD can be downloaded free of charge from Aila Data Service, according to the conditions set for each dataset. Please note that below is listed only a sample of all data available at the Archive and we encourage you to search more datasets on the subject on Aila.
Questions and variables of quantitative datasets that have been fielded in English or translated at the FSD can be explored by browsing their codebooks or through Aila variable search. If a quantitative dataset has not yet been translated, you can request a translation free of charge. Qualitative data are only available in their original language. Where applicable, the codebook and other related material are freely accessible on the study description page of each dataset.
Recent Data Releases
- e2's Survey on Values and Attitudes 2016
- Views of Violence in a Changing Media Landscape 2017
- Swedish East India Company in Newspapers 1731-1807
- Scholarly Reading Practices Survey 2016
- News Articles about Finns Party Members Convicted of Hate Speech 2016-2017
- Young People in the Limelight: Creative Writing Workshop 2015
- Young People in the Limelight: Photography Workshop for Underage Asylum Seekers 2015-2016
- Young People in the Limelight: Photography Workshops 2015-2016
- Young People in the Limelight: Photography Workshop in a Youth Cafe 2015
- Young People in the Limelight: Theatre Workshop 2016
- More data on Aila Data Service
- Quantitative study
- Qualitative study
FSD3081 Social Media Work in Evangelical Lutheran Parishes 2012
The survey charted social media work done in the Evangelical Luther Church of Finland, as well as the respondents' social media skills and attitudes towards social media.
FSD2504 Media and Power 2009
The study investigated the relationship between the media and political decision-making in Finland.
FSD2407 State of the Finnish News Media 2008
The study investigated the news output of nineteen Finnish media (newspapers, TV, and radio) during 14 days between October 2007 and March 2008.
Data in these series also include questions on the theme.
People interested in finding data on media should also take a look at data available at other data archives around the world.
In Finland, the Language Bank of Finland also provides services to researchers and archives audio and video material. Services of various European social science data archives can be accessed through the website of CESSDA. The UK Data Service has, among other things, a wide variety of excellent qualitative data. Another good source of data is the German GESIS - Leibniz Institute for the Social Sciences. The extensive holdings of the American ICPSR are also well worth searching.