Past and Future
FSD holdings contain a number of data series and individual datasets suitable for research on the past or the future.
There are also many datasets that contain individual questions and variables which are potentially useful to researchers of the subject. The data archived at the FSD can be downloaded free of charge from Aila Data Service, according to the conditions set for each dataset. Please note that below is listed only a sample of all data available at the Archive and we encourage you to search more datasets on the subject on Aila.
Questions and variables of quantitative datasets that have been fielded in English or translated at the FSD can be explored by browsing their codebooks or through Aila variable search. If a quantitative dataset has not yet been translated, you can request a translation free of charge. Qualitative data are only available in their original language. Where applicable, the codebook and other related material are freely accessible on the study description page of each dataset.
Recent Data Releases
- Enhancing Leisure Time Activities: Survey for Eighth-Graders Spring 2015
- Enhancing Leisure Time Activities: Survey for Seventh-Graders Autumn 2013
- Enhancing Leisure Time Activities: Survey for Ninth-Graders Autumn 2015
- Enhancing Leisure Time Activities: Survey for Ninth-Graders Spring 2016
- Enhancing Leisure Time Activities: Survey for Eighth-Graders Autumn 2014
- Enhancing Leisure Time Activities: Survey for Seventh-Graders Spring 2014
- Identity Horizons of Finnish Higher Education Students 2015
- Finnish Youth Survey 2016: Additional Data from the Helsinki Region
- Vocational School Student Survey 2017
- Finnish Opinions on Security Policy and National Defence 2018
- More data on Aila Data Service
- Quantitative study
- Qualitative study
FSD3234 EVA Survey on Finnish Values and Attitudes Winter 2018
The study charted Finnish people's values and attitudes. The themes of the 2018 survey included the powers of the president, income distribution, the impact of robotics and artificial intelligence on work and employment, success in life and freedom in society.
FSD3077 Cross-national Survey on the Future of the Welfare State 2015
Citizens of eight European states were asked opinions on the future of the welfare state as well as the role of the EU in social policy and national welfare systems.
FSD2932 Historical Consciousness in Finland 2009: Survey
The study charted Finnish notions of and views on the past, historical consciousness, historical identity, and knowledge about history.
FSD1138 Visions of the Turn of the Millennium 1997
The survey studied Finnish visions regarding the turn of the millennium in 1997, such as the likelihood of cataclysms and other world-changing events.
People interested in finding data on the past or the future should also take a look at data available at other data archives around the world.
In Finland, the Language Bank of Finland also provides services to researchers and archives audio and video material. Services of various European social science data archives can be accessed through the website of CESSDA. The UK Data Service has, among other things, a wide variety of excellent qualitative data. Another good source of data is the German GESIS - Leibniz Institute for the Social Sciences. The extensive holdings of the American ICPSR are also well worth searching.