Datasets archived at FSD according to access condition A are now freely available under the CC BY 4.0 license
To facilitate easier use of datasets that are freely available for all users without registration and to better comply with guidelines regarding open data, all datasets archived according to access condition A are now available under the Creative Commons BY 4.0 license.
Under the license, a dataset is openly available for all users without registration. The availability of data under the CC BY 4.0 license corresponds to access condition A in the conditions laid out in the data deposition agreement for disseminating research data for further use. By downloading a dataset that is available under the CC BY 4.0 license from Aila, the user agrees to comply with the terms and conditions of the license. The source of the dataset must be cited in all publications where a dataset has been used. A recommended citation is included in the study descriptions of datasets archived at FSD.
Changes regarding the use of datasets that are available under the CC BY 4.0 license include the following:
- When downloading a dataset, the user is no longer required to supply an email address and the purpose of data use
- By downloading a dataset, the user agrees to comply with the terms and conditions of the CC BY 4.0 license
- The user is no longer required to agree to comply with the General Terms and Conditions for Data Use
- The license information is included in the data files
- Availability under the CC BY 4.0 license facilitates the creation of permanent resources for teaching research methods
- Availability under the license also facilitates the development of various types of applications
The change applies only to some datasets archived at FSD. At present, 93 datasets on Aila are freely available under the CC BY 4.0 license. FSD aims to increase the availability of open data for individuals, administration and companies. Most datasets archived at FSD are (B) available for registered users for research, teaching and study (1,174), while some are for (C) research only (including Master's, doctoral and Polytechnic/University of Applied Sciences Master's theses) (234). In some cases, access requires (D) permission from the data depositor (73).
All FSD metadata records have long been licensed under the CC BY 4.0 license. The access conditions for data files are determined in the conditions for disseminating research data for further use laid out in the data deposition agreement between the depositor of the data and FSD